Saturday, December 7

Gyaru Fashion (A Guide, School Uniform, Shoes, All from UK!) December 2013

Hello bumchums! ともだち!

This is my first "Gyaru" fashion post - help!

It's a challenge to find gyaru inspired clothing in the UK. Our only choice of shops is really Primark, New Look, River Island or Top Shop, unless you are lucky enough to live in London or somewhere like that.

Firstly, for those of you who don't know, gyaru is clothing inspired from a particular style Japan. A lot of our normal, modern styles have been derived from famous places such as the Shibuya 109 store and Harajuku. For example, tartan skirts were seen as a more traditional garment for weddings etc. until Japanese styles adopted them and made them fashionable, cute and stylish. Today, the best known styles like floral skirts, hats with cat ears and sub brands like 'Tokyo Doll' in New Look are all taken from Japanese origins.

Famous Japanese brands like Liz Lisa, Ingni (Pronounced, "Ingu") and Ank Rouge are almost impossible to purchase from in the UK, even with the internet. If you are lucky to come across a genuine piece, often the delivery charges are astronomical.

Instead, for those of you who have discovered the delights of Gyaru clothing, I present some effective alternatives, all purchased on a fair budget from UK stores.

Here is my first post, Winter fashion 2013. I've asked for a fair amount for christmas, so a few more posts should be up very soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) School Uniform

I'm currently in my fourth year of high school (HELP!) Which means I only have a couple of years to go. My school is relatively strict on uniform, but I've found some delightfully cheeky ways of slipping under the radar in recent years, while still sporting a unique gyaru style.

Rule One: Everything looks cuter with Knee socks. Black knee socks - especially with bows - are the way forward.

Rule Two: Layer up your top half, keep your bottom half simple. This works well for all seasons. In spring and Autumn, a shirt, baggy jumper, cardigan and a long necklace can keep you warm, with just some tights and a skirt/shorts as bottoms. This is uniquely Japanese style, and comes from many Japanese schools not allowing the girls to switch to warmer bottoms in the cold months. This way, Japanese women have become accustomed to having cold legs.

Rule Three: Makeup, should always be kept simple and sweet. I try not to wear eyeliner at all, mostly because I'm so fair-skinned and light-haired that it just looks stupid on me.

Okay, first outfit.


(Sorry for the bad quality!)

Here is the look in full. This also goes very well with knee high socks. Tip: When wearing knee high socks in the cold, I like to put some skin tights on underneath, just for extra warmth, although in complete honesty, I was just as warm in those socks as I am in tights. 


And up-close.

Okay, from the top.

The blouse I am wearing (which you can't actually see here) 

Is a white shirt with black buttons and a sharp collar trimming. I bought this from River Island for around £20, although it's not longer in stock, there are alternatives including this sweet diamante collar (on sale right now!) 


This puts a twist on a normally plain, simple shirt. Here is the shirt anyway, 


Next is the long cream colored cardigan, currently in stock in Primark, for £8. I also suggest you buy a size bigger than you normally would to create a loose, baggy effect, very cutesy and gyaru. Do up all the buttons and drape it over a flared skirt for a mega cute, ruffled look. 

My skirt is in fact a leather (faux - of course) skirt from Miss Selfridge. It is now on sale for only £12, which is such a bargain. This skirt has been worn at least 15 times since August and it still looks brand new.

Next, the scarf. The infamous scarf.

The scarf is also from Primark for I think, £5. I started wearing it before people properly started wearing winter scarves because I loved it so much. I felt like I'd started a trend when the next week, everyone came in with tartan scarves, but it just so happened that that trend was already established in so many shops over the country. They seem to be selling like hot cakes, which is great for gyaru girls like me. Tartan scarves are a great way to cutesy up an outfit, I also love the combination of this cardigan and skirt with a cream, baby pink and grey tartan scarf.

Now, the iconic blazer. 

Blazers are already stylish both here and Japan. The only problem is, the school blazers are not so attractive. I took the somewhat risky decision to personalize my blazer, by sewing on little tartan bows and frill trimmings on to the pockets. Luckily enough, nobody has told me off for it. Yet. 

Another idea is to add a little frill at the end of the sleeves for a vintage, classic effect, and some trimming around the collar for a more unusual and statement appeal. 

On my feet I just wear plain, no pattern black brogues. 

Now for something non-school-y, I also purchased the cutest, liz lisa, gyaru-inspired shoes in the history of my short life. 


I was actually looking for some cute, ankle boots for the colder weather, when I stumbled across these babies on the New Look website for £30. They are an online exclusive, I must add.

They feature a -

DARNIT! Okay, sorry, I was just getting the info off the website. I literally bought these beauties a few days ago and they've now reduced the price to £22.49. Sigh. Lucky for you all though. Anyway,

- Wood effect wedge heel and a cream crochet pattern lace. They are perfect for wearing during the day or at night time, and will work in perfect harmony with the popular frilly dolly socks which are so popular right now. Also inspired by Japanese clothing, I'd imagine.


That's all for today!

I hope you all like my first Gyaru post, I hope to post about a wide variety of subjects but Gyaru was something I really wanted to get started with.

Thanks for reading,

Li xx

1 comment:

  1. The blogs you produce incurs the much to my knowledge. The skills that are established strongly on the knowledge are very much indemand. I would like to add that your writings adds knowledge to my skills.
    wholesale womens jumpsuits distributor

    ReplyDelete